Thursday, September 17, 2009

MULTIMEDIA VS WRITTEN PAPERS

Should Students be allowed to create multimedia projects instead of writing papers in school?
I feel that there should be a combination of both. Multimedia wasn't taught back when I was in school. I learned my multimedia skills in the military but only enough to do my job. It is hard for me in this class and my info1100 class because I don't have many skills. I enjoyed doing the photostory, even though it took me awhile, because I am adding to my knowledge which will help me with my future students. Teachers need to teach their students how to write properly before sending them out into cyberspace. It is just as important to know proper grammar, sentence structure, and spelling for the digital tools because many people can see your work (maybe even future employers) so you don't want to come across uneducated. Writing papers is good because students do more research and more drafts to make it better. It takes more time and effort. Students can check their own grammar and spelling when using the computer which is kind of cheating.
"Power of One" is a great example of what Jason Ohlera was saying in "Orchestrating the Media Collage". The multimedia reaches and influences more people than books, magazines, or even newspapers. "Orchestrating the Media Collage" made a great point about how fast technology is changing and a person can be left behind if they're not up to date. Teachers have a responsibility to teach their students how to safely and properly use the digital resource tools. The NETST Standards that go along with both of the above items are: 1b, 2a, 2b, 2c, 4a.

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point about students needing to have strong print literacy skills so they do not come across as uneducated in cyberspace. But I also think that good research is also required to make good PhotoStories. In the Power of One it was clear that students had to do quite a bit of research in order to create a powerful message about the power of voting. I agree with you that students need to be able to both!

    ReplyDelete